It’s snowing! Snow is not a given where we live, so a weather forecast of snow becomes a state-wide event. First, the meteorologist predicts snow. The forecast is then repeated and retweeted and posted until even our pets know that snow has been predicted. (Poor little Fezzy.) Second, everyone in town immediately goes to Shop Rite. What are we buying? More milk, more bread, more water? Just in case… Third, everyone wonders when/whether school will be cancelled. I would like to say I am not a participant in this craziness, but I would be lying. Today after the kids went to school I got gas (I really needed it though) and went to Shop Rite. Then I had to pick the boys up from their half day. LOL.
This snow may actually warrant the craziness though. As of now, 8 – 15 inches are predicted in our area and a “State of Emergency” has been declared by the governor. My last minute decision to make comfort food (hence the Shop Rite trip) is seeming like a pretty good idea.
Carrot Ginger Soup is always a good idea. I love this soup when it is freezing outside and in the summer. I will be very happy to come inside to this after shoveling us out tomorrow.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 lbs carrots (approx. 15), peeled and chopped
- 3 + tbsp. ginger, peeled and chopped
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook onion in butter in a soup pot until soft.
- Add garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add carrot, ginger, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Puree and serve.
Tomorrow morning I am making Crock Pot Pepper Steak. There is something wonderful about the smell of something delicious cooking in the crock pot when you come in from the cold. It warms you and just makes you happy. This recipe is so versatile. We might have it in tortillas or with rice or pasta. I will let the boys choose.
- 2 lbs beef sirloin, cut into 2 inch strips
- garlic powder
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 3 large green or red peppers
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- Season meat with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Brown meat in a frying pan in oil, then transfer to the crock pot.
- Mix bullion cube in hot water until dissolved. Add cornstarch and mix until dissolved. Add mixture to crock pot and stir.
- Add onion, pepper, stewed tomatoes, soy sauce and sugar.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 - 4 hours or on low for 6 - 8 hours.
One last note. Before I went to Shop Rite today I finally had my dryer vent cleaned. I was quite delinquent in this task and I feel so much better now that it is done. Did you know that dryer vent lint causes a lot of house fires?
So, I am wondering, what is your favorite comfort food?
I am also wondering, have you had your dryer vent cleaned recently?