Today’s Christmas cookie is Gingerbread Cookies. Not gingersnaps. These cookies are a little crispy on the outside, but soft and chewy in the middle. I make these every year at Christmas and often at other times as well. They are one of mine and Dane’s favorites.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. molasses
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp. ginger
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- about 2/3 cup sugar, to roll the cookies in
- Beat butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses.
- Combine dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar.
- Press each ball gently with a fork to make design on top.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes.
Hope you enjoy!